Goodrich Aircraft Wheels and Brakes is proud of its heritage and continues to take pride in leadership role in the wheel, brake and services business.
The Evolution of Goodrich Aircraft Wheels and Brakes
The Goodrich Aircraft Wheels and Brakes facility is located on the grounds of the original WACO Aircraft Company in Troy, Ohio which flourished in the late 1920s and set the stage for aviation to continue here well into the future.
Goodrich milestones since the 1930s:
- In 1937, Goodrich provided expander tubes to Hayes Industries. The company took over the expander tube brake business, together with a number of disk brake designs, test data and patents from Hayes Industries Inc.
- In 1946, the company purchased the aircraft braking assets of Hayes Industries and relocated the company to Troy, Ohio, in the former WACO facilities, due to the proximity to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
- Goodrich's first disk brake, the Lockheed L188 was approved by Federal Aviation Administration in 1957.
- Goodrich began developing its own disk brake systems in 1953.
- During the late 1950s, the company supplied brakes for the Douglas DC-3 and DC-4 models.
- Gained first position on a Boeing commercial airliner with selection for Boeing 707 in 1958.
- In 1961, Goodrich diversified to produce brakes for off-the-road equipment. Since America’s first man was sent to space in 1961, Goodrich wheels and brakes have flown on all shuttles.
- Expanded Troy, Ohio facility in 1965 to accommodate continued growth.
- In late 1960s, Boeing 727 and 747 business was a significant win for Aircraft Wheels and Brakes
- During the 1970s, Goodrich became a leader in the development of carbon-carbon composites for aircraft braking systems.
- Selected as an alternate supplier of Airbus wheels and brakes for the first time in 1978. Also selected for position on Boeing 737 and Lockheed L1011.
- In 1979, chosen as wheel and brake supplier for Boeing 757.
- Off-the-road antiskid brakes business continued thoughout 1980s.
- Goodrich wheel and brake service operations surfaced in late 1980s and Louisville and London service centers were established.
- In 1988, offered high performance SUPER-CARB® carbon heat sink material which set a sound foundation for our newest technology DURACARB® carbon friction material.
- In 1990, continuous improvement tools became a strong component of our business.
- In 1991, selected as supplier for wheel and carbon brakes for Boeing 777. In addition, gained sole-source status on Cessna's Citation business aircraft and began deliveries of carbon brakes for F-16 fighters.
- Won one of the dual-source positions on Airbus A321 for wheels and brakes in 1993.
- In 1994, Goodrich was awarded its first integrated program, the Global Express.
- Operated 11 wheel and brake service centers by 1994 with entry into world markets expanding from London to Singapore.
- In 1998, Goodrich performed first flight with electrically actuated brakes.
- Aircraft Wheels and Brakes facilities became AS9100B certified (based on ISO 9001:2000) in 2005; one of the first aerospace companies to achieve this level of compliance.
- In 2007, Goodrich became the first supplier to provide a production electric braking system.